Sunday, February 12, 2023

The Long Dark Beneath Castle Redhelm INTRO

It's time, folks. I'm going to try and essentially build an ever-going dungeon here on the blog. Where will it end? I don't know, but I'm going to see where it goes. It may go well, but it'll probably flop. No harm, no foul. This is going to be stress-free, and hopefully a nice, easy dungeon for you to run. No paywall or anything, but this is as rough as it gets. Lots of ramblings about whatever I see fit. Here is my goal for it all:

1. Provide an underground adventure site that is easy (enough) to run, with minimal bullshit.

And that's...pretty much it. I've gone back and forth on what other points I'd make are going to be, but at this point, I'm as in the dark as you, which is kind of exciting? Fuck it, let's just build this thing together. 

First, I'm going to discuss what the dungeon is: Castle Redhelm. I have no intricate backstory for the castle, and this is really just to honor the dungeons of yore al-a Greyhawk and Blackmoor. Grey-hawk. Black-moor. Red-helm. Yay, now you get it.

In reality, the castle is in ruins. There is not much to explore within the actual ruins of the castle, and that is by design. The castle has long been forgotten, and it dwells in a remote corner of the wilderness that no one ever cares to venture to. In my mind, the decrepit castle now wastes away on the shores of a murky lake. The smell in the air is acrid, and there always seems to be a strange haze in the air. 

What we really care about lies below the surface, where worms dine upon the carcasses of strange men, and even stranger beasts. So, the primary entrance to the Long Dark Beneath Castle Redhelm is easily accessible, and unguarded. What sane mortal beings would dare venture into the unknown depths of a dilapidated castle?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

TLDoCR 1

  Here are the first 10 rooms of the Long Dark of Castle Redhelm. This map was used via Dungeon Scrawl, and it looks pretty good so far. Mos...